Tuesday, March 24, 2009

What do Babies Dream?

At our two week checkup our pediatrician asked us if the baby's been smiling for us. Our answer was no, but I immediately thought, "What? At two weeks? The baby should be smiling? Maybe I haven't been working it like I should." Now I know that every baby progresses differently, but I don't think a little smile is too much to ask. Since that appointment I have admittedly been acting a damn fool for this kid. I dance like a monkey, I sing, I coo, I make little motor sounds with my mouth...for nothing. I usually just get a funny "What the heck?" look from her. She has recently smiled for I think all three of her grandmothers and I got nothin'.

I have, however, noticed that she puts on quite a show in the mornings. The last few days have gone like this: I wake up at a ridiculous hour for nighttime (or early morning, rather) feeding number two, sometime between four and five o'clock; she's usually a little more difficult to coerce back into sleep at that time, so once Dad gets up for work I place her in her boppy in bed with me and we nap the morning away. A little while later I wake up to her smiling and lauging in her sleep. I mean like real giggling, not gas. Like "tee-hee-hee...BIG SMILE". I love it! It's absolutely delicious and it completely fills my heart with warmth.

But what could a four-week-old possibly be dreaming of that is so funny? What could she have taken in during her life so far that could show up in her dreams? I wish I knew so that I could have some idea how to get this reaction out of her myself. For now, I'll selfishly hope that she's dreaming of me.

1 comment:

Vicki @ Grams Made It said...

She's dreaming of you and, as Grandad always says, she's playing with the baby angels.