Sunday, March 15, 2009

Sympathy for the Dairy Cow


As soon as our little bundle of joy came into this world she took right to nursing...didn't have any problems or complaints really. She fed every three hours or so and would sleep four hours at a time each night. Not so bad, I thought, I can deal with this. For the first two weeks. Since then it seems like she wants the boob more often, like every two hours. And according to all of my nursing resources, you start timing from the beginning of each feeding session...and each session takes about 30 minutes usually. Which translates into incessant nursing. I'm seriously considering duct taping the child to my chest. And god forbid you try to push the time between feedings by fifteen minutes! She turns into a little baby zombie, clawing and sucking at your neck, chest or face, whatever's closest. All the books say that this can happen with babies having growth spurts around 2 and 3 weeks old, that it's just a phase and the baby will eventually feed more efficiently with a little more time between each session. Let's hope so, I hear duct tape can cause a nasty skin rash.

No, but seriously, I am enjoying nursing all in all. The closeness and the bonding really is a beautiful thing. It forces me to stop everything that I'm doing, and hold my little girl close for several hours out of the day which would honestly be spent doing mundane household chores and pointles errands otherwise, things that certainly won't be missed.

No comments: