Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Grams' Dresses

Those of you who know my mother, know how talented she is. She's super resourceful, she's fantastic at planning and executing not only business projects, but swank suburban cocktail parties and huge holiday family dinners, she's creative, has great taste, and she's smarter than the average bear. Now that she has a grandbaby, she's dusted off the old sewing machine and has started churning out the cutest little numbers for our favorite chick.

Which brings me to the point of this post. She was laid off a while back, and has sent her resume out to a few people, but as the economy would have it, she's not having much luck finding what she wants. But I've got an idea! I think that she should just build on what she's practically already started...a homemade baby clothing and accessories shop from home. Come on Mom, do it. And this is why it would be pure awesomeness:

1. Websites like Etsy.com, Ebay, Craigslist, etc. make it super easy to upload your goods and spread the word.

2. I have a lot of friends having babies, and at work I meet a lot of families building homes because they're having babies. Hello!? Networking goldmine.

3. And this is the best one...you work at home, for yourself, for as much money as you want, and I'd say the hours would be flexible enough for you to still make plenty of time to drive to San Antonio to hang out with us. Besides, you'll be needing a fabulous young model for your frocks, and I think I know where you can find one!

4. Did you see how much that chic little boutique in downtown Corpus was asking for similar creations? I'll refresh your memory...$115!!! Now we all know that's just ridiculous. But I feel confident that you could put yours at a slightly more reasonable pricepoint and still make a pretty penny. The patterns that you have are very hip, and handmade is always better than store bought, but what mom of an infant has time to sew? Once you get going we can try selling in boutiques in Corpus and San Antonio and the world will soon be ours! Muah ha ha!

5. You've got nothing to lose. Make a few items, list them, see if you get any bites.


A sweet little dress that I commissioned for a friend


Her latest creation for Ezra



One of my favorites when paired with ruffled butt bloomers!


Hand stitched felted wool booties, these are truly delicious

Assorted baby blankets

These are great because they're lightweight and small enough to fold and fit into a diaper bag, but big enough to spread out for a play palette. I've also used mine draped over the stroller when it was raining.

1 comment:

Robin M Anderson said...

I think that is an EXCELLENT idea. Handmade baby clothes are all the rage these days. If she gets going I would be happy to list her on my blog! Good luck Grams!

xoxo