Thursday, September 4, 2008

Second Time Around

I'm sure everyone that reads this blog knows that our last pregnancy ended in a miscarriage right at three months. We were both pretty saddened by the event given that we were finally getting comfortable with the pregnancy and with the idea of adding a child to our family. It took us a little while to come to terms with it, and honestly the complete avalanche of hormonal changes that followed certainly made it harder for me. But my doctor was great through the whole thing and she reassured us that one miscarriage didn't necessarily mean that anything was wrong, that they just happen, quite often actually, and most of the time we have no idea why. I was amazed with how many people, from old friends to my anesthesiologist, came forward to tell me that they had gone through the same thing and that they tried again later on and were successful.

So several months passed and just as we started moving into our first house I started feeling much more tired than I should and voraciously hungry again...the same symptoms that I experienced with my first pregnancy. One night as I was complaining about being too tired to eat and too hungry to go to bed, and Travis turned and looked me square in the face and said, "You are so pregnant." And I was like, yeah, I so am!

So I scheduled an appointment with my doctor, whom I'm still CRAZY about, we had our first sonogram before 3 months--everything checked out, and here we are today. A full four months into it, and I've got to say that I'm feeling really good. The lethargy passed with the first trimester and with the exception of feeling a little thick in the middle, I feel like my old self.

Our last appointment was at the beginning of August and we got to hear the heartbeat. Travis summed it up nicely saying that it sounded like someone chomping on cookies. I remain constantly concerned about the development, and though I wish I could have more checkups and sonograms, I'm trying really hard not to worry myself.

Our due date is tentatively February 17th, 2009. And I'll be sure and update this with as many pictures as I can. We're both so grateful for all the support from our friends and family!

3 comments:

Vicki @ Grams Made It said...

I'm so glad to see that you've reinstituted your blog. I'm so excited I just can't wait. I'm already planning the baby's wardrobe. Just waiting to see if it should be pink or blue. Be sure to call on us for anything you need. We're here for you.

great aunt j said...

OMG!! Congratulations!! No, your Uncle Danny did not tell me the good news. He said he forgot. (It's a man thing, I guess)

Katy, I am so excited for you and Travis. And I didn't know yall had bought a house. Great! Well, I can't wait to see the pooch! We're coming down on the 26th of this month. Maybe we'll see yall?? Congrats again.

Love and kisses, great aunt j

Travis and Katy said...

As for the wardrobe; just buy black. We are going to name him/her Johnny Cash either way, so black will work.